Monday, June 20, 2011

The safer alternative to benzoyl peroxide

I’ve been using benzoyl peroxide for my mild-moderate acne for a few years now. It does improve the amount of acne you can get. However a lot of people, including me, agree on the fact that it can cause skin irritations, such as rashes, redness, soreness, itchiness, burning, dryness, flakiness, tingling, and stinging. Of course, not everybody has this problem, but studies show that 79% of people experienced side effects from applying benzoyl peroxide on their skin.

A few weeks ago, I was reading a few blogs over the internet, and it was explaining how the essential oil, tea tree oil, helped with acne and that it was a safer alternative instead of using benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. This is not a first discovery, science shows that there is some benefit to using this tea tree oil.
I’ve been using tea tree oil for the past few weeks, and I must admit, it works as well as benzoyl peroxide. It controls most of my acne (not completely, although BP never did either), no dryness or irritation whatsoever, and it feels great when you put it on.

Anybody trying to find a way to control their acne without dealing with the nasty side effects from BP or SA (salicylic acid) should definitely attempt the TTO. Make sure to use the undiluted oils, as the ones that don’t can cause irritation. Also make sure to not take it internally. It’s also said that it takes longer to go into effect than the BP, although I never noticed that for myself.

Another cool fact about TTO, is that it can help treat athlete’s foot, dandruff, yeast infections, fungal infections of the toenails, and a load more. It’s also good for applying to minor burns and minor skin cuts or wounds as an antiseptic.

No comments:

Post a Comment